Saturday, January 9, 2010

I've been thinking a lot about people that have influenced my life. Of course, we all are influenced by our family and I could write VOLUMES about mine. There are SO MANY characters on both my parent's sides and my husband's family just adds to the adventure. Not to mention that I have 7 brothers and 2 sisters and the personalities are as diverse they come. I suppose this is where I've developed my genuine interest in most people and the ability to keep an open mind and true understanding that you can still love someone, even if you don't agree with them.
However, like many of us, I have to admit, I was influenced by people on TV. I'm going to start off by saying that I many times feel bad that television programming has deteriorated by the deluge of reality shows. I don't mind The Great Race or Survivor that test the human spirit. In these shows, I've seen the best and worst coming out in people. I'm very disappointed in shows like The Bachelor where women are desperately flaunting "their stuff" for men I don't think I would date after knowing for 5 minutes. Then, of course, if I need to feel good about my life, I switch on Oprah, Intervention or Jerry Springer and thank the dear Lord for that my family doesn't even come close to that kind of craziness. After thinking in great length about television shows present and past, the one show that consistently comes to the top of great influence is The Joy of Painting.
The Joy of Painting was hosted by a unique and lovable man, the late Bob Ross. Bob came into your living room via PBS so calm and centered. In the half hour you watched, he created masterpieces with such ease. His simple approach made anyone watching think they could be an artist and he encouraged you to do so. More importantly, Bob encouraged you to be an individual and in your creativity, there were NO MISTAKES! After all, what you were take away from his painting lessons was technique, your painting didn't have to look exactly like his. He also had such a relaxing and soothing approach that no matter what you had on your mind that day seemed to just melt as you entered the world with him. He truly was a man living in his own "happy little world". From my perspective, it didn't look like much would upset him as he seemed to be truly at peace with himself and the world. Many times when I'm doing something and screw it up, I think about how there are no mistakes, you just make it unique. I also try to emulate his serenity and know that peace truly begins within. Being OK with yourself, your mistakes and expressing your own individuality are the true lessons that were learned from the Joy of Painting. Thanks Bob Ross!!

2 comments: